A Guide To Packing Your Home
Posted on 2013-09-28
Here we've provided some basic tips on how to pack your house in preparation for a move.
- Start as early as possible and pack the least-used rooms first (i.e. garage, attic, basement etc).
- Mark each box clearly with as much detail as possible. This will make it easier when you get t your new home.
- Have a 'furniture map' for your new house so that heavy items such as couches and beds only have to be moved once.
- Use uniform-sized packing boxes rather than odd boxes from the supermarket to allow for better stacking in the truck. This is also advised for their durability.
- Pack heavy items such as books in lots of small boxes, rather than one big box.
- Don't pack flammable liquids or aerosols in boxes, as moving trucks get very hot on long trips and they could cause a fire among all your belongings.
- Disassemble any furniture or large items to save on space and tape their screws to them in a plastic bag so that they are not lost in transit.
- Ensure appliances such as fridges and washers are disconnected and defrosted or drained before the movers arrive.