Money Saving Moves
Posted on 2014-12-21
The costs of moving house can really add up if you don't keep track of what you're spending on. You can actually save money before, during and after your move in all sorts of ways. Even Boomerang Box is able to help you save a fair amount of money with our cheap rental of sturdy and reliable plastic moving boxes! Here we're going to highlight some of our favourite cost-cutting tips for you here!
- The best way to save money is actually to make money! And what better way to make a little moola on the side, than to sell away all the items that you don't need anymore and don't plan to take to the new house. You'll make extra cash and your shipping costs are going to be much cheaper because there are less things to move around!
- Start clearing out your fridge or eating all the items in your pantry so that you can start your stocks afresh in the new home. Especially the contents of your freezer! Chances are you'll most likely throw them away if they aren't cleared during the days in countdown to your move.
- Have a few options for when you would like your moving day. Removal companies may charge a premium for moving on certain days like on weekends and public holidays. So if you can be flexible, you can save by picking a cheaper day.
- A small move can be a cheap move so do a quick inventory! If you don't have a lot of items, you might be able to save money and cut costs by hiring a van and doing the job yourself and with some friendly help! Don't forget researching on some insurance if you plan a DIY move so that your items are protected from any unexpected damages while in transit.
- Do a once over the house when everything has been packed out and moved out. Look through the house and tie up loose ends like taking readings on the final day for utilities so that you'll know how much you're paying for. This will also give you a last chance to make sure that nothing has been left behind. It is not funny to have to make a return trip to pick up things that were left behind!
- When you've settled in, do a bit of research to compare suppliers for competitive deals on your new utility requirements. You can also take the opportunity to make sure that you get a good deal off any other regular services your require like pool and garden maintenance if you utilise these.
- Look at cost-saving appliances and electricity options - go green if you can and build in facilities to help you save money now and in the long run while you stay in your new home!
There are a lot of other things that you can do to save money when you're moving and we would love to hear what other tips you may have! Boomerang Box is always on the lookout for new and improved tips to share with our customers and we welcome your feedback!