Stress Less With These Moving Tips
Posted on 2013-12-06
Moving house is a big task with heaps of little parts that can trip up a novice. Thankfully Mum's Grapevine has compiled a list of helpful hints to get you moving as smoothly as possible.
- Spread the packing out a cross a four-week schedule, packing a little part every day. This will save you from getting overwhelmed at the last minute.
- Look on Gumtree, and on community notice boards, for used cardboard boxes. Lots of people give them away for free, or at least for a discounted price.
- Use your linen, bedding, clothing, cushions and pillows for box cushioning.
- Buy a big chisel point marker and label all of your boxes clearly, on the top, and all sides.
- Use highlighters to colour-code your boxes, so the movers know which box goes where.
- Keep an eye out for empty space, like in your fridge, or washing machine, and fill it with soft, light, and durable items.
- Prevent breakage by layering a paper plate between each of your china items.
- Keep your children occupied with a packet of crayons, telling them to decorate the moving boxes. Otherwise, it's a good idea to leave them with a babysitter elsewhere.
- Pack a 'overnight essentials' box, with your pyjamas, toothbrush, snacks, and toilet paper.
- As you move in, make your bed first, just in case you need a nap later.
- Outsource any tasks that you don't think you can handle. A little money spent on help will save you big time on silly and expensive mistakes.